Well, yesterday I tore chapter two of Winds apart and put it back together again using a bunch of the bits that I had removed from chapter one. That was… interesting. The fact that the structure of the book is chapters divided into fairly equal halves, with the first half being her viewpoint and the second half being his, doesn't help. (No, that's not hers and his in a romantic sense.) The stuff that got removed from the end of chapter one had to be time shifted so that it could go into the middle of chapter two, and the stuff that was at the beginning of chapter two had to be either time shifted backward, rewritten into the other viewpoint, or dumped. But chapter two now contains plot moving stuff, and since it didn't really have any before, that's got to be a step in the right direction.
Today I moved on to my next trouble spot, about a third of the way through the book, and added an incident that didn't previously exist. I removed a character interaction that I rather liked in order to do so, but it wasn't necessary, and it didn't *fit* any more. Mostly because, once again, the structure of the book required that I flip some stuff from one viewpoint to the other — which is actually kind of fun to see. Although the narrative voice remains fairly constant, stuff still changes just because of who we are seeing it through.
I now no longer have any large fixes that I know about, and after I run through my critter's comments to catch the small stuff, I'll have nothing more to do on it until someone else reads it. If my Dad hasn't called me up to tell me what I'm supposed to be doing for him by then, I'm going to be in a bit of a quandry. I don't want to get involved in another rough draft of something only to get pulled away from it before it's gotten properly started, that would be totally frustrating. On the other hand, I don't want to sit around and twiddle my thumbs either.